How To Study in Canada Without IELTS: Do you know there are people who don’t believe one can study in Canada without IELTS? In time past, IELTS has been one of the language tests or exams that have been used to test the level of proficiency in the English language. There are lots of international students who have found the test difficult to write, and they keep on rewriting it in order to earn a better score to gain admission to the university.
Presently, there are lots of universities in Canada that are wavering the exam for international students to gain easy access to any university of their choice. Therefore, anyone who is making plans to enroll in one of the universities in Canada doesn’t need to bother about writing the examination. Apart from the high fees international students have been paying to write the exam, stress is another thing that has been a burden to several students.
There are various measures being put in place to allow students to study in Canada without IELTS. In some Canadian universities, students can enroll by issuing a recommendation letter from their previous faculties in order to show their English language proficiency. International students also exempt themselves from writing the IELTS to gain admission to Canada.
RECOMMENDED: Study MBA in Canada Without Work Experience
Reasons Influencing the IELTS for Students
There are various reasons influencing students to avoid writing IETLTS, and here they are:
- The price
- The exam structure
- The time duration
- The speaking section
1. The Price:
This is one of the factors that influence or discourage students from writing IELTS. The payment fee for writing the examination as an international student is highly demanding due to the high price that is required for students to pay.
2. The Exam Structure:
It takes a whole lot of confidence for any student who wants to write the IELTS exams. In writing the examination, it has to do with writing long and short essays, and this has influenced the high rate of students staying away from studying in Canada.
3. The Time Duration:
Normally, IELTS exams take more than a day to complete due to the speaking section, and it is separated from the other sections of the examination. As a result of this, it was considered as being strenuous for students.
4. The Speaking Section:
This part of the test requires students to have one-on-one communication with the interviewer. Any student who is not bold enough might find it difficult to face the interviewer.
RELATED: List of Cheapest Countries to Study in Europe
Some Ways To Study in Canada Without Taking The IELTS Exam
Studying in Canada is a dream for many students around the world, but one of the requirements to study in Canada is to show proficiency in English or French language through language tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, or others. However, there are some ways to study in Canada without taking the IELTS exam. Here are some options:
- Language waivers: Some Canadian universities may waive the language requirement for students who have completed their previous education in an English or French medium institution. Check with the university you are interested in to see if they have any language waivers available.
- Language Preparation Programs: Many universities in Canada offer language preparation programs for international students who do not meet the language requirements. These programs can help you improve your language skills to the level required for admission to the university.
- Alternative language proficiency tests: Instead of IELTS, some universities may accept alternative language proficiency tests such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson Test of English (PTE), or Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE). Check with the university you are interested in to see if they accept these tests.
- Studying in French: If you are proficient in French, you can study in French language institutions in Canada without taking an English language proficiency test.
- Studying in a bilingual program: Some Canadian universities offer bilingual programs where students can study in both English and French languages. This could be an option for students who are not proficient in one language but are proficient in the other.
Alternatives to Study in Canada Without IELTS
There are other tests or examinations that can be taken by students who have no interest in studying in Canada without IELTS, and they are:
- English proficiency tests such as the Pearson English Language Test (PTE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Proof of studying in an English school for a minimum of at least 4 years
- Proof showing English language as the official language of your country
- Enrolling in a Canadian English language school for either a year or a semester.
- If you can have any of this as a student, you can study in Canada without IELTS.
Universities for Students to Study in Canada without IELTS
READ ALSO: USA Diversity Visa Program (DV-2024) Application Form
The various Canadian institutions allow students to study without writing IELTS:
1. University of Winnipeg:
This is one of the universities students can study in Canada without IELTS. The IELTS test is not mandatory in this school, but having proof of proficiency in the English language is a compulsory criterion. The type of English test they write here is English Language Program (ELP).
2. Brock University:
Students can still write the IELTS, but it is not mandatory. International students can write TOEFL in order to gain admission to study in Canada without IELTS. The test has a minimum score that is expected for students to have in order to study at this university.
3. University of Saskatchewan:
This institution has employed lots of students from different parts of the world. They accept a total score of 86, with a minimum score of 19 across the different sections of the exam. Students are also permitted to take the CanTEST, which is similar to the IELTS test.
READ ALSO: University of Calgary Scholarships for International Students in Canada
Overall, there are options available for international students who wish to study in Canada without taking the IELTS exam. However, it is important to check with the university you are interested in to see what options are available and what their specific language requirements are.